Once you’ve completed the first course on returning to the office, create a daily visualization practice that helps you approach your new routine calmly and confidently.
Practice visualizing your travel to and from work as well as a successful day at the office. Begin by breathing deeply. As you breathe in and out, imagine a goal you have set for yourself or a challenge that you face. Next, imagine yourself achieving that goal or overcoming the challenge. Use rich details to make the visualization vivid. Keep in mind that practicing every day is what rewires our brains to build our resilience.
1. Visualize Travelling To and From Work
- Sit quietly.
- Take a few deep belly breaths.
- Imaging your travel to work: Take your time. Include challenges you may face. See yourself successfully resolving those challenges. Imagine how you will reduce any anxiety or frustration that may arise.
- Visualize what it will look and feel like when you have arrived safely at work.
- Before leaving work, use this technique to visualize your return home.
2. Visualizing Success At Work
- Sit quietly before you enter your workplace.
- Begin to focus on your breathing by taking a few deep belly breaths.
- Imagine your day at work: Take your time. See challenges with co-workers and customers. See yourself successfully resolving challenges. Imagine how you will reduce your anxiety and frustration.
- Visualize what it will look and feel like when you have completed a good, safe day at work.
If you find the return to office overwhelming or stressful, consider using the 55 minutes on, 10 minutes off approach. First, concentrate fully on what you need to accomplish for 55 minutes. Then, allow yourself a 10 minute break. Use that time to leave your desk or workspace to do some gentle stretches or take a walk. Consider doing a short meditation. Remember the tips and techniques learned in our first series on stress management, using a mindfulness practice to help you stay calm during the day . When the 10 minutes are up, you’ll be able to return to your desk refreshed and ready for the next task.
And when you’re ready for the next class in the series, you can find it here.